Sunday 29 April 2012

Work in progress.

This weekend, amongst housework, school work, shopping and nursing an ear infection, my 'work in progress basket' has made an appearance.


I started a quilting course a couple of weeks ago. The lady who runs it is really lovely and creaed some amazing quilts and other bits and pieces. I have done patchwork etc before but have always just been self taught. It was great to be taught the 'proper' way to do things and I discovered there were mistakes I had been making, such as pressing the seams open instead of pressing them onto the dark side of the fabric. Sandra also taught me how to sew strips of fabric together and then cut across instead of cutting out individual squares like I had been doing!!

My basket was full of fat quarters and five squares made from nine smaller squares. My homework from the course was to stitch triangles onto the sides to create bigger squares. Here are two completed squares. They are not perfect and still need trimming but I am impressed with my efforts (even though I got a bit frustrated!).



These squares will (fingers crossed) be part of the quilt that I will make over the course of the ten week course. It is only a small quilt but I can't wait to complete it.

My basket is now full of completed squares to take to the course on Wednesday.


See www.plainnavy.co.uk for details of the course.

Anyone else been crafting this weekend?

Thanks for reading.
Rachel xx

No comments:

Post a Comment